[squeak-dev] Cuis problem with blocks

Phil (list) pbpublist at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 16:59:50 UTC 2010

On Jan 21, 2010, at 11:17 AM, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Phil>   Yes, my example was pulled from some inject:into: code that
> was now
> Phil> failing and I managed to fall into the bad practice of using
> this
> Phil> pattern as a result of seeing several examples that used it.
>
> Where are these "several examples" of people writing into temps/locals
> so that I can steer people away from misguided advice?

Randal,

Off the top of my head, I don't recall specifically where I picked up
this bad habit.  I do remember that early on I was having some
problems with google queries sending me to old/obsolete versions of
Squeak related web pages (which I didn't realize at the time) so it's
entirely possible that this was where I picked it up as I had several
issues being directed to outdated packages etc. and I could have
learned it by looking at some older code that had since been corrected.

I just poked around one of my 3.10.2 images and only see this pattern
used in a couple of places (SMSqueakMap>>check,
KadamaVectorizer>>traverseMessage:in:firstPlayer:inCondition:,
HostFont>>widthOfString:from:to:) though these weren't places I
remember poking around early on, so I doubt that's how I picked it up.

Thanks,
Phil