[squeak-dev] [Cuis] Cuis

keith keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 21 21:06:05 UTC 2010

>>>  Nonsense.  In the past 6 months, just to take three that come to
>>> mind, we have closures, native fonts and unloadable smaller
>>> traits.  There are lots of other things also; go look at the
>>> recent changes list.  Trunk is actually progressing very nicely.
>>>
>>> You might try contributing code rather than whining at length.
>>> It's more fun for everyone.  Better for the community

I don't think I can contribute code.

For example, my contributions to Monticello. In case you don't realise
it. Monticello cannot load Monticello, so contributing it to trunk
will not work, that is why we developed LPF loading process in the
first place. But of course, trunk didn't build on 3.10-build did it,
so the process chosen for trunk prevents me contributing towards MC or
PackageInfo, two areas that have massive changes (now in the bin)

My contributions for a Package manager are loadable, [ Installer
install: 'Packages'. ] So they don't have any place in the trunk
scheme either.

The trunk process is allowing people that would normally contribute
via a changeset to contribute, (well just give me the changesets, then
I can use them) and it is enabling people who would normally write a
loadable package to contribute, (so just publish the loadable package).

However, fundamental changes to Monticello, and PackageInfo, you can
forget it. Goodness knows how you change compiler stuff.

Watch this space, I will submit code for Cuis, because that does have
a process I can contribute to, i.e. Juan has not defined process for
contributions that prevents contributions.

I always regarded your points as respectable and sensible, so I hope
you understand my opinion that the trunk process closed me out. The
very ethos of the previous model was to harness all possible
contributions, not to prevent people from making them. However I am
sure I can rely on you to correct me if I am wrong.

regards

Keith