[squeak-dev] Killer Apps

Overcomer Man overcomer.man at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 22:07:52 UTC 2010

I'd like to see Squeak come with tons of killer apps so we have no need to
go outside of Smalltalk to do any programing job.  I think that could turn
Smalltalk back to the hopeful industry standard it used to be at the first
OOPSLA.  To do that it would need support for all types of peripherals
including Terrabyte disk files, Webcams, TV Tuners, Multicore CPU's, LANs
with one operator, nice elegant code for doing complete tasks that are easy
to understand and customize instead of bloated incomprehensable packages.

Say in graphics we had a package that made it easier to develop cartoons
than whatever Mac software they use for 3D cartoons now and be compatible
with Autocad, Solidworks and Inventor?  Say in business we had something to
rival SAP.  Say in Math we could best Wolfram-Alpha.  Say in AI we could
out do OpenCyc.  Say Squeak's browser was finished so it would rival MSIE or
Firefox.  Say we could bring up a full screen of Squeak and never have to
reduce it to do things like capture a screen image, crop, and print it (I
still use an old free app for that).  What other apps would cause people to
say, it's better to hire one Squeak programmer than 10 C++, Java, Ruby, or
other traditional programmers?

What if we presented advanced apps most people never see like machine
vision?  Genetic algorithms?  Bible metaphor interpreter?  Machine
translation?  Management Accounting (distinct from financial accounting)?
Hobby rocket orbit insertion software? What are all the apps that if
presented in Squeak would make people prefer Squeak to Microsoft products?

Squeak has a big advantage now in being a tiny download compared to Ruby
Steel.  What is needed to make people choose Squeak?

And what if the code repository for Squeak apps had an index that showed an
informative description including which were open for download since some
aren't and should be in a seprate repository?

This is not to provide fodder for critical thinkers to criticize but to
provide ideas for creative truth thinkers to develop.