[squeak-dev] [Cuis] Cuis

keith keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jan 22 06:46:58 UTC 2010

> If you hadn't spend the last 6 months having a hissy fit you would
> find you weren't as far behind or as inconvenienced.  You might also
> have participated in porting the closure bootstrap

Eliot,

I did participate in the bootstrap, I thought I was the first to do
so, excepting perhaps Andreas.

Bob built an LPF image, with MC1.5 etc, on your first 3.10-closures
image, you can download it from ftp.squeak.org and I requested
feedback or suggestions as to what to do next with it to get the
debugger working and got none.

> (which does exist as changesets on my blog site and has been adapted
> to three different Squeak distros so far) to your context.  Instead
> you've chosen to disengage,

I did not choose to disengage, as I have stated several times, I had
no choice, and I still have no choice.

Perhaps a timeline will explain.

1. Due to the unfortunate cancelation of an unrelated client project
just a few weeks prior to this I had no money and I was a bit down.

In this period there was a 2 month silence form Andreas and the board,
not a dicky-bird. I was working hard on 'bob', at times, and Bob began
producing deliverables, documentation and screen casts. Bob was auto-
building developer images, and one click images etc.

2. Andreas sent the email "This is THE new process for squeak
development" that CANCELLED my work, (talk about kicking man when he
is down)
it ended it right there, not a single line of code has been written
for Bob beyond that day.

Bob needs about an hours work (plus a bit of debugging) to configure
the automatic testing facility, and then the bob 3.11 "process
development" effort was complete.

3. Since then as a direct result of andreas' email to squeak-dev (when
I had specifically asked Andreas to make release discussions in the
release-team mailing list) My client and financial situation have
effectively forbidden me to work any further on "the bob process",
since my paying clients support of "bob" development was based on the
concept that the squeak community would be using "bob", and it would
be the future platform for release-team work, providing regular
updates to the base image, to our production images, and regular
regression tested derived images upon which to build and test our
production images.

Since the "trunk" based process will only yield an image once every
12-18 months, we might as well just manually rebuild our base
production images every 2 years or so, we don't therefore have a
pressing need for a continuous integration server any more.

4. When Andreas cancelled "bob" he cancelled my income from bob
related tools development, and pissed off my client to the extent that
work which had earlier suffered somewhat at the expense of "bob" was
now a priority. If I work on bob, I effectively lose the income I do
have.

> and what would be the point of maintaining an evolving package for
> old images?

You don't have to evolve the package when you can evolve the image
just enough. Using this method LPF loads MC1.5 into Squeak 3.7, but
MC1.5 does not limit itself to the lowest common denominator API,
MC1.5 is written for the Squeak 3.10 API, LPF evolves the images just
enough.

Cuis is based upon Squeak 3.7
Spoon is based upon 3.2
Doesn't dabble db still use 3.7 images as its workhorses.

Gjallar was on 3.8 up until a year or 2 ago, when Installer allowed it
to move to 3.10

> Eventually the old becomes the obsolete; the cost-benefit ratio
> falls below 1.  If you want to be a curator then that's up to you,
> but I get the impression that this community wants to be productive
> and self-expressive.  The past is past.

The problem with computers is, you are stuck with what you buy for 20
years or more in some cases. You are one of the lucky ones that gets
to always use the latest stuff.

For example, the harrier jump jet nozzle models are written in PDP11
basic, limited to 9999 lines of code, they still have pdp11's

> (& BTW the knowledge on how to implement closures is widespread
> (mine is based on a lisp implementation strategy), and what you're
> talking about is the bootstrap, not the implementation).
>
> I think you misunderstand me my gripe is not about making progress,
> it is about throwing all the knowledge into one disorganised pot,
> aka "trunk".
>
> Whatever.  Looks like you failed over two years to make a new release

I didn't fail to make a release, the release wasn't the objective.
Andreas finally realised that after 2 months. A version of the release
image 3.11 was produced manually by a script 18 months earlier. Ken
Brown had a go and did it himself. Anyone can hack an image, it takes
a bit longer to produce a continuous integration server that makes an
image.

The task we wrote a proposal for to the board was for a "continuous
integration PROCESS", NOT an image.

What you forget, or don't know, is that we only made this proposal
after the board had outright announced plans to cancel 3.11, and said
there would be no further development of 3.x. I.e. The board at the
time said we DONT want an image, 3.10 is the end of the line, for 3.x

We piped up and said, ok, but if we had a continuous integration
server, that could produce a 3.11, 3.12 etc as stabilising maintenance
releases, bringing 3.x to a solid dependable conclusion, in
anticipation of the brave new world of Squeak 5.x

Radical "change the world work" was being carried out in Spoon, Squeak
5.0, so Andreas should have taken over spoon, which was over a year
past its promised delivery date, without any sign of progress updates.

Andreas and the board moved the goal posts that they had approved
without even bothering to talking to us. All of a sudden we are
accused of not producing an image, when that wasn't the goal.

It was pretty disingenuous to scupper all that work without even a
discussion, or consideration of the implications.

> , got upset when people finally lost patience

Like I said the board had cancelled 3.x already.

> and started work again, and that you lack the objectivity to realise
> your part in your misfortune.

No I don't lack objectivity.

We were doing exactly what we had said we would do, and we were at the
point of packaging up the final deliverables, and we would have told
anyone that talked to us of the situation. That we were no more than a
week away from completion and potential delivery of the cherished
image. Since the image is auto generated, you simply pick your release
date and it generates it according to the status of mantis at the
time. So the process of discussion would have been, ok guys we have
two weeks to tidy up a few of the mantis reports, and to check things,
then we will hit the button and your image will be produced.

The sudden inflammation of the discussion on squeak-dev where complete
strangers started asking where is the new image, was a complete
surprise, and I didn't even think it was worth replying to at the
time, because we had made it clear already in writing, approved by the
board that we were not producing one, but the means to produce one.

There are protocols, namely that the release-team is responsible for
the releases, and it was Andreas' duty to join the release team, and
to work with the leaders, without being contrary and to discuss
release ideas on the release-team mailing list, when I had made a
specific request for him to do so.

It was extremely disingenuous of him to start the release-team
discussions on squeak-dev, when I had explicitly asked him not to
because at the time my paying clients were on squeak-dev and could see
what was happening. As a result they pulled the financial plug on me,
and constrained my freedom to make further benevolent contributions.

>  You were the one who wouldn't release Bob open source.

I only threatened that in a moment of complete disgust and abject
poverty, wondering where I would get my next meal from.

Check the repositories and the licences. I have mentioned several
times that Bob is in the repos and all repos are open.

> I think I'm pissing in the breeze.  Surprise me if I'm wrong.

Nope you are not wrong, because I can't do anything, like I say I have
no choice.

Keith