[squeak-dev] [Cuis] Cuis

Torsten Bergmann astares at gmx.de
Fri Jan 22 13:17:07 UTC 2010

>Metacello very overengineered.

Depends on the point of view ;)

>Does it track Universes package definitions?

No, why should it. It's a package management for Monticello
and as I already said it is not limited to Squeak and its derivates.

Universe is Squeak only, you wont find it for instance on Gemstone.
Metacellos goal is not to rival with Bob/Sake or try to push
packages or Mantis fixes into any image derivate out there
(which I think would be virtually impossible with the number
of derivates and differences we already have)

Seaside and Metacello are currently working well enough
to build upon. They are open, maintained and one can easily participate.
They dont wait for a board, take small steps, care about user base
instead of insulting them.

Should I rather invest my time into unmaintained code? Metacello
(as well as Seaside) just work and are accessible, supported and
 adopted. So there must be a difference, no ?

What about Bob/Sake? With all your actions I dont think it will
have a bright future, even when you open the repo (which is still
access restricted).

>Gofer, a complex heirarhcy for four actual methods which do
>anything

same comment as on top of this mail

>if you build anything on lukas' stuff be preopared to find
>the whole infrastructure changing under you in a weekend, he wont even
>look at any thing you offer as an addon.

Nonsense, there is an active list with discussions - anyone can
participate. You can open bugs, get fixes included, ...
The framework is well written, there is documentation (even with a
book) and meanwhile ported and used in other Smalltalks too.
Lukas takes care even to beginners questions. Never had a problem
with him.

When I offer something it either gets included or I can provide
it as addons (like the JQueryWidgetBox I did).

Yes - there are infrastructure changes (like "Grease") necessary
to ease porting and moving ahead. But typically people use
a stable version and decide if and when to follow into a next new
stable version.

Look at Avi - he is still using an old version of Seaside for
his dabbledb business. And according to a statement in an interview
he has no problem with that.

So again ... what is your point. You sell yourself as the miracle healer
who was interrupted right before he was able to cure us from all illness.
We now also know that your approach would have done it better than anything
 other. Then take this last step (another week?) to finish it and
convince people to adopt it.

And stop throwing mud onto anyone in the whole community who tried
to move ahead or you ever had a problem with. With these actions you
are the one who is now throwing away all your work and destroys
your efforts for any useful reuse.

Bye
T.