[squeak-dev] Brave New World

keith keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jan 23 13:58:36 UTC 2010

Dear All,

I invite you to watch the following presentation. It was recommended
by Eliot, thanks Eliot, and he is correct it is brilliant. I have
watched it several times.

Eliot wrote:
> I suggest you do need to see http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/clay_shirky_on_institutions_versus_collaboration.html
>  and think about its implications.

The current "institution" is an "obstacle" to progress, and both the
"trunk" repository and the pharo team's approaches, are inherently
exclusionary, generating only one product, under the guidance of the
professional class of elite programmers, and celebrities we have
elected etc. (you have to watch the talk).  [that is why the bob
process was proposed in the first place]

We need, and have known for while that we need the equivalent of the
printing press, the thing that actually facilitates chaos and
creativity, that can then be co-ordinated in its diversity and
creativity, rather than being controlled. We need to level the playing
field for all of us, even the little guy, the below average, "way to
the left" on the contribution curve contributors.

What we really need as an essential starting point is actually the
kernel image that we have talked about for so long. So thank you Juan
Vuletich, thank you for your kernel image, I am sure it will go far.

We just need a couple of tools for CUIS that will allow contributions
at ANY level, and tools and infrastructure that can cope with forking
if someone wants to be liberated from Juan's benevolent control of the
kernel.

Essentially I am proposing a paradigm shift from "centralized" scm,
like subversion or CVS (aka trunk).
and we need the equivalent of git/mercurial and bazaar, where
development is decentralised and we can branch to our hearts content.

So, welcome to the brave new world, built in Cuis.

Keith