Revived from the dead [Re: [squeak-dev] [Cuis] Cuis]

keith keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jan 24 12:18:05 UTC 2010

> Indeed.  One of the problems of non-trunk development is that the
> barrier
> to contribution is far higher, because each individual contributor has
> to understand how to make his idea *work* with *all* base images.

What are you talking about. This is simply not true. What a ridiculous
idea.

The individual contributor, merely has to consider that other people
might be interested in learning about his contribution.

For example, Edgar wants to load Closures into Minimal, Minimal is
based upon 3.10. The knowledge and nuances of how to perform this task
is contained in the heads of 4 people as far as I know.

1. Elliot, (he wrote closures)
2. Andreas has applied this to 3.10
3. Juan has applied this to Cuis
4. Stefane has applied this to Pharo which is based on 3.9

The common factor is that all of these people have all performed their
task with only the goal of doing it for themselves. None have
considered that a lesser mortal like myself or Edgar, also have a NEED
for this, not a want, a NEED.

Edgar and I are not really clever enough to do it for ourselves, sure
we may manage to load closures, but really we wouldnt have a clue how
to cope with more subtle issues. Problems that have already been
solved 4 times by experts.

> Whereas the model we have now, the Squeak base gets better

And Edgars work on Minimal is made obsolete.

> This is a far better system.  More commits, more progress has been
> made in the
> past six months than the previous 18 months.

Progress which cant be used is not actually progress.

Keith