Squeak core dev is now like every other open source project! (was Re: [squeak-dev] [Cuis] Cuis)

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Sun Jan 24 15:08:16 UTC 2010

>>>>> "Nicolas" == Nicolas Cellier <nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com> writes:

Nicolas> Since I don't see much requests in this list, shall I conclude that
Nicolas> either Squeak-trunk is not used for application dev. or that there is
Nicolas> no major compatibility problem ?

Why is this viewed so much different from every other open source project?

Do you keep installing the daily release of the Linux Kernel on your
server machines?  No!

You wait for a major release of Fedora, or Debian, or Ubuntu, which happens
every six months or year.

You port your code to the new release, with hopefully only a few problems.

You then deploy *that* release with your code.

Squeak is following a similar model... if you have production code, keep using
3.9 or 3.10 or 3.10.2 until the next *Squeak* release, which will be 4.0
within a few weeks (same as 3.10.2 precisely) and then 4.1 shortly after
(which will be a frozen and vetted version of trunk), and then 4.2 maybe a
year later.

If you are a *developer* of Squeak itself, follow trunk, propose
changes to Inbox, and perhaps become a committer to trunk yourself
after enough good patches.

THIS IS THE SAME MODEL AS EVERY OTHER SUCCESSFUL OPEN SOURCE PROJECT.

Keith continues to make it into something it isn't.  We're doing
*what works*.