Revived from the dead [Re: [squeak-dev] [Cuis] Cuis]

keith keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jan 24 18:59:25 UTC 2010

> Honestly, what kind of automation you can invent here to migrate your
> application from using package version A,
> to package version B , which potentially, can be completely rewritten
> from scratch?
> You doomed to either stay with version A, or do a lot of manual work
> migrating to version B and no magic tool will help you with that.

No automation at all is needed.

> About cross-fork package development.
>
> Each package having an environment-agnostic behavior , and environment
> dependent.
> The goal of developer is to identify these parts and connect them
> nicely.
> But this is gone too far. It is now about defining and enforcing a
> good practices in package development to avoid cross-dialect pitfalls.
> How many packages we has built with cross-compatibility in mind?
> How many packages having all globals declared in a single place, not
> scattered among code?
> And what automated tools can solve the problems, when your package
> code using 'SmalltalkImage current' instead of 'Smalltalk'?

Again no automated tools.

I think you are getting hung up on the automated tools thing.
Automation is nothing to do with this discussion.

I am not asking you or anyone to automate tools or anything.

I am asking you to use a process of thinking that documents what you
do, in a way that enables it to be routinely harvestable. Its a
process of knowledge capture. You can write it on paper if you like:

Example:

If you write me an explanation of how to install closures, it will be
a lot easier to write if you say.... Start with a 3.10-release image.
Do a,b,c,d,e and you will have a closures image, we shall call 3.10-
closures.

As a trunk developer you cant write me this explanation. If you write
me an explanation of how to install closures following trunk, it will
be... Hmm when we did it we had this image that was hacked on by 10
people, so this is how I did a,b,c,d,e but I cant be sure that this
will work for you.

that is the difference, and my example from the bazaar documentation
clearly shows the difference

Keith