[squeak-dev] Re: [Cuis] Cuis - Cross fork compatibility of packages: A proposal

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Jan 28 07:16:37 UTC 2010

keith wrote:
> It sounds like you loaded the right thing. You just need to turn the
> "useAtomicLoading" preference off, this uses MCPackageLoader1b, the non
> atomic loading code.

So I tried this too and it doesn't get very far either (same process
described earlier). It fails very early on when it's trying to load a
variant of ProgressInitiationException>>defaultMorphicAction. The
failure originates from MCMethodDefinition>>preloadOver: which actually
*removes* the selector that is being changed.

This is a fatal flaw since removing a method that's about to be modified
can't possibly work when it comes to any system critical methods
(compiler etc. comes to mind but even the progress display is enought to
blow up). This version won't be able to deal with many, many changes
that went into the trunk.

Cheers,
   - Andreas