[squeak-dev] Re: Code Formatting

Stan Shepherd stan.shepherd414 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 08:59:23 UTC 2010

Mike Hales wrote:

> Pharo - I using the latest Pharo 1.0 release candidate (dev not core) It
> seems like the coloring, and automatic completion work right out of the
> box,
> but when I choose "format" from the code pane context menu, nothing
> happens.
> Do I need to load something else?

Mike,
In Pharo,  it looks like format works some of the time in Omnibrowser (the
default). I haven't got to the bottom of when/how; it should probably be a
bug report.

The pretty print in Omnbrowser2 is reliable. Do you use this (O2)? The
instructions to load are in the external projects workspace, for which there
are instructions in the welcome workspace

DEVImageWorkspaces openExternalProjectWorkspace

Then

	Gofer new
		squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
		package:'ConfigurationOfO2';
	load.

	(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfO2) perform: #loadDefault.

Use the menu of any browser to change to a new default browser
O2PackageBrowserAdaptor.

> Also, if it were to work, what would I
> have to do to get a keyboard shortcut for it.

I think there's a problem with the shortcut at the moment, related to this
issue:
http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1312&q=shortcut&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Summary%20Milestone
http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1312&q=shortcut&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Summary%20Milestone
I'll open/reopen an issue ticket for that.

> Since so many of you write so much more code than me, I imagine that there
> are simple solutions. And while we're here, I wouldn't mind some
> suggestions
> regarding how to "pimp my image" so to speak, to make the development flow
> better.

If you don't use the package browser of O2, you might find it saves some
clicks saving, updating to/from Monticello, also you can run tests directly
from there.

Do you use Lint (code critics). I think of it as my pair programming
partner. There are videos at:
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch/blog/ob-rb-3
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch/blog/ob-rb-3

Hope some of this is of help,   ...Stan