[squeak-dev] #nextChunk speedup, the future of multibyte streams

Chris Cunningham cunningham.cb at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 04:07:51 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 6:09 PM, Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu> wrote:
> - it assumes that ! is encoded as byte 33 and whenever byte 33 occurs in
>  the encoded stream that byte is an encoded ! character

The "whenever byte 33 occurs in the encoded stream that byte is an
encoded ! character" part of this seems suspect to me.  Are you
checking the bytes for byte 33, or are you still checking characters,
and one of the characters is byte 33, then you assume it is ! ?  If
you are just scanning bytes, I would assume that some UTF-8 characters
could have a byte 33 encoded in them.

Although I'm not a UTF-8 expert.

-Chris