[squeak-dev] Re: [Cryptography Team] Cryptography: plugins

Rob Withers reefedjib at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 5 22:05:56 UTC 2010

From: "C. David Shaffer" <cdshaffer at acm.org>
Sent: Monday, July 05, 2010 4:49 PM
To: "The general-purpose Squeak developers list"
<squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org>; "Squeak Cryptography"
<cryptography at lists.squeakfoundation.org>
Subject: [Cryptography Team] Cryptography: plugins

> The Cryptography package (at one point) contained the following classes
> which extend "plugin" related classes which are not part of the typical
> squeak image btw, typical = used by me :-)
>
> DESPlugin (subclass of InterpreterPlugin)
> DSAPlugin (subclass of InterpreterPlugin)
> MD5Plugin (subclass of SmartSyntaxInterpreterPlugin)
>
> These seem to have been dropped from various forks and the trunk
> probably because the publisher (including me) did not have the
> appropriate superclasses loaded when we loaded Cryptography.  The latest
> versions were available in mtf.13.  So:
>
> 1) Are these plugins to be maintained as part of Cryptography? or
> somewhere else?
> 2) If "yes" to 1, can I move them to a separate Monticello package?

I think it is a good idea to store these separately from the Cryptography
package.  I believe we made sure that tests run without the plugins, so
Cryptography out of the box, without the plugins, is functional.  We could
have a Cryptography-Plugins package to store these.  Then the challenge is
to get VM builders to load this package when building VMs for distribution.

Nice work.

Rob