[squeak-dev] Headless Linux squeak running max cpu

C. David Shaffer cdshaffer at acm.org
Mon Jul 19 13:53:51 UTC 2010

On 07/19/10 06:14, Rob Withers wrote:

> David and Levente,
>
> How do I use -via or -tunnel with tightvnc?  I don't see those
> options.  I am using the UI interface to launch the tool.   I can
> connect to my server, enter my password, but then it says "Error while
> waiting for server message".  This is not using ssh, or tunnel, or via.
>
> Thanks,
> Rob

Have you tried connecting to a squeak image running on your local
machine?  I'd verify that first.  I haven't found any configuration
necessary but I might be getting lucky.  I think that tightvnc
automatically chooses "tight" encoding when it is tunneled.  You might
try setting that manually.

I don't know anything about the UI interface...if you're on windows then
you might not have access to the built-in tunneling.  If you're on a
UNIX-like machine:

vncviewer -tunnel user at host.domain:display

will ssh into host.domain as user, creating a tunnel and then vnc
through that tunnel.  If you don't have direct access to the machine via
ssh (it is behind a firewall) then you need via:

vncviewer -via user at dmzhost.dmzdomain host.domain:display

which will vnc into dmzhost.dmzdomain and then through a tunnel between
your local machine and dmzhost, vnc into host.domain.

David