Pragmas in VMMaker (was: Cryptography plugins (was: Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Cog bugs (was Re: Cog on linux))

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Jul 21 02:10:51 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 01:45:13AM +0200, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Jul 2010, C. David Shaffer wrote:
> >
> >Can you send me your Crypto plugin fixes so I can merge them into
> >squeaksource?  Thanks!
>
> I uploaded it to
> http://leves.web.elte.hu/cryptography/CryptographyPlugins-ul.2.mcz
> . I think the current VMMaker for SqueakVM support pragma declarations,
> but I'm not sure. If it doesn't, then some changes will have to be
> reverted. The VMMaker of CogVM is unhappy with the old message-style
> declarations (#var:type: #var:declareC: #export: etc.).

The current VMMaker for SqueakVM does not use or support pragmas
(method annotations). Converting to pragmas makes VMMaker unloadable
in older Squeak images.

It should be feasible to have the Cog VMMaker handle message send
declarations (although I have not tried), but the reverse may not
be supportable. If that is the case, then plugins that are intended
for use on both SqueakVM and Cog would need to use message-based
declarations, at least until such time as we decide to move SqueakVM
to use method annotations.

Follow-up discussion concerning method annotations in SqueakVM and
Cog VMMaker is probably best moved to the vm-dev list.

Dave