[squeak-dev] [ANN] DnsClient: More protocol fun

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Jul 27 07:24:16 UTC 2010

Folks -

I just finished another fun little protocol implementation. DnsClient is
a client for DNS lookups of all sorts. Why implement the DNS protocol
you ask? Well, because 1) it's fun, 2) it's educational, and 3) it's
non-blocking. The latter is actually interesting, we've found that
occasionally we get very long VM blocking due to synchronous name lookup
performed in the Unix socket code.

You can install DnsClient from Squeaksource:

	(Installer ss project: 'ar')
		install: 'DnsClient-Core';  "all the code"
		install: 'DnsClient-Tests'; "the tests"
		install: 'DnsClient-Hacks'. "use DnsClient when present"

DnsClient should work well but beware that on Windows it will currently
use the deefault fallback name servers (Google DNS and OpenDNS) since I
still need to implement the primitive to return the proper resolv.conf
content (which is spread out in the Windows registry). Consequently, if
you're trying look up local names or if you are behind a firewall, these
addresses will fail until I've implemented the primitive proper.

Cheers,
   - Andreas