[squeak-dev] SIP stack (was [ANN] DnsClient: More protocol fun)

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at angband.za.org
Wed Jul 28 08:35:27 UTC 2010

On 2010/07/28 10:10, Janko Mivšek wrote:
> On 27. 07. 2010 11:34, Frank Shearar wrote:
>
>> I'm not familiar with the term Computer Telephony Integration (CTI).
>
> Main usage of a SIP (Session Initialization Protocol) nowadays is in IP
> phones and one of the main selling points of the IP over classical
> telephony is so called "convergence" between different means of
> communication, and specially between telephony and computers.
>
> Well, in reality so far it is more a selling point than much meat, but
> there is a potential and the SIP protocol is essential part of the
> convergence toolboox, that's why it is good to have a SIP protocol
> implemented in Smalltalk.

I know, and agree wholeheartedly!

> CTI as a part of the convergence toolbox is essentially used for two
> simple but very powerful things:
>
> 	1. notifying your application that someone is calling,
> 	2. calling by "one-click" from your application
>
> Specially the first one is very important for systems like CRM (Customer
> Relation Management). And because a big percentage of applications are
> dealing directly or indirectly with customers, they have a need for a
> CRM and therefore also for a CTI.
>
> Most basic example: a customer calls you and his webpage is poped-up in
> front of you to read past conversations with him in few seconds before
> you pick-up the phone and start prepared the conversation with him.

Right, OK. The Wikipedia made it sound like CTI was making your computer
aware that a _device_ had received a call.

CTI still sounds like something that uses a SIP client of some kind,
rather than something that SIP itself does, right?

> The whole trick is in those few seconds and those seconds are essential
> for a much much better income of such customer call. That's why the CTI
> is so important and that's why it is important to be supported from our
> Smalltalk apps too!

We can still do this by wrapping around an existing library.

I started my SIP stack just to use Smalltalk in anger, on a complicated
network protocol. If others pitch in and we make something usable,
great! (And of course I'd love to have my SIP stack getting used all
over the place.)

But if people just want to be able to use SIP from within Squeak, it's
possible that the faster route is to write a plugin that talks to
something like reSIProcate (C++), or a suitable wrapper around my Delphi
stack, or similar.

frank