[squeak-dev] Alien for Squeak 4.1/Pharo 1.1?

Joachim Geidel joachim.geidel at onlinehome.de
Tue Jun 8 19:49:09 UTC 2010

I somehow managed to load Alien into both Squeak 4.1 and Pharo 1.1. You can
see what I had to do in the installation instructions for JNIPort on
SqueakSource. It's not for the faint of heart... ;-)

In Squeak, this meant removing the Alien-Prereqs package and all
Parser/Scanner/MethodNode changes, as they are redundant or obsolete in
Squeak 4.1. I have a version of the Alien-Core Monticello package which
loads cleanly in Squeak 4.1, if anybody is interested. However, this package
does not load in Pharo 1.1 beta 11367 - some of the changes I removed still
seem to be needed there.

What are the plans for Alien? When will it be made available for Squeak 4.1
and Pharo 1.1? I am interested in this because I need Alien as the base for
JNIPort, and I would like to at least run the JNIPort test suite on a stable
version of Alien before officially releasing JNIPort 2.0.

Joachim Geidel