[squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-users] Alien for Squeak 4.1/Pharo 1.1?

Stéphane Ducasse stephane.ducasse at inria.fr
Wed Jun 9 09:35:57 UTC 2010

On Jun 9, 2010, at 9:32 AM, Joachim Geidel wrote:

> Am 09.06.10 08:06 schrieb Stéphane Ducasse:
>> We would love to have a version of alien working for pharo on all platform.
>
> IMO, this would make it necessary to move all extensions of system classes
> (with the exception of the #asAlien conversion methods) to Alien-Prereqs,
> and have different versions of this package for Pharo 1.0, Pharo 1.1, and
> Squeak 4.1. Can this be done with Metacello, or is Metacello a Pharo-only
> thing? I am a newbie here, I simply haven't had the time to look at
> Metacello yet.
>
> Also, the override of
> SystemDictionary/SmalltalkImage>>recreateSpecialObjectsArray has to be
> eliminated. I have seen that the current Squeak and Pharo images have a 50
> element specialObjectsArray, Alien adds 5 more entries, and there is another
> version in the pipeline for Squeak which adds one more for finalization
> support.

after discussing with igor this point we decided to wait to see what was happening since
it made no sense to change this method all the time but to wait for a new VM.

> That leaves us with three different versions already. IMHO, it is
> not acceptable to override that method. What's needed is a possibility to
> extend the array using a well-defined API, intended for VM developers only,
> of course.

There is a better solution as discussed in the vm mailing-list.
Igor proposed a solution and now we are waiting.

>>> In Squeak, this meant removing the Alien-Prereqs package and all
>>> Parser/Scanner/MethodNode changes,
>>
>> what are these?
>
> Ups, sorry for the confusion. There are changes of Parser and Scanner in
> Alien-Prereqs, while Alien-Core contains methods for MethodNode, Compiler,
> Decompiler, and CompiledMethod. Most of the latter only change the
> printStrings of MethodNodes and CompiledMethods for primitives, and all of
> them seem to be completely unnecessary in Squeak 4.1. One method in
> MethodNode (MethodNode>>generate) overrides a different implementation both
> in Squeak 4.1 and Pharo 1.1, and does not work in both of them. Most of the
> overridden methods in Alien-Prereqs actually only changed the error messages
> emitted when parsing method sources, others seem to be precursors of methods
> which have been integrated into Squeak about two years ago.

cleaning the package would be a nice first step.