[squeak-dev] WebClient / Port to Pharo

Sven Van Caekenberghe sven at beta9.be
Mon Jun 14 18:57:54 UTC 2010

Hi Andreas,

I have been looking and using your WebClient package. Your key point, the existing HttpClient was not good (to be polite) and yours is much better, is spot on. Therefor it seems important that your code works well in Pharo too (my main Smalltalk platform). I looked at your WebClient-Pharo package in detail and decided to try to make it no longer necessary. I think I succeeded: in Pharo 1.1rc2, my slightly modified WebClient-Core package passes all unit tests without the need for any Pharo specific patches.

My WebClient-Core-SvenVanCaekenberghe.24.mcz and WebClient-Tests-SvenVanCaekenberghe.12.mcz remove the need for String>>#, by using #asString where needed. My WebClient-Core-SvenVanCaekenberghe.24.mcz also removes the need for String>>#squeakToUtf8. My packages can be found at www.squeaksource.com/ADayAtTheBeach

I hope that you would consider including my patches upstream.

Regards,

Sven

PS: I would like to help you maintain Pharo compatibility and/or improve WebClient. I have for years maintained my own HTTP client and server packages for Common Lisp ( http://homepage.mac.com/svc/s-http-client/ & http://homepage.mac.com/svc/s-http-server/ ) so I know the domain a little bit.

--
Sven Van Caekenberghe - http://homepage.mac.com/svc
Beta Nine - software engineering - http://www.beta9.be