[squeak-dev] Re: [SPAM] Re: WebClient / Port to Pharo

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Jun 15 08:39:54 UTC 2010

On 6/15/2010 12:50 AM, Frank Shearar wrote:
>>> Does the WebClient package include https capabilities?
>>
>> No, it does not. It would be very nice to have of course.
>> But writing an HTTPS (SSL) implementation at the Smalltalk level is a
>> lot of work.
>> Very few environments do (it could be that VW does so).
>> Most link to OpenSSL to do the job, but that add another VM dependency.
>
> IIRC, the Crypto team
> (http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/cryptography/) got an SSL
> implementation working. They've been a bit quiet of late.
>
> (I'd just use OpenSSL: it's been beaten around the head for a long time.)

That's one option. OTOH, I have working Windows (plugin) code using the
Windows SSP interface but I don't think the interface will work for an
OpenSSL based implementation, so I'm somewhat hesitent to publish it. I
think the best option would be implementing an OpenSSL BIO directly in
the SocketPlugin - does anyone have experience with that?

Cheers,
   - Andreas