[squeak-dev] Pushed Cocoa Macintosh VM Squeak 64-32 5.7b1

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Jun 16 13:11:43 UTC 2010

On 16.06.2010, at 09:19, John M McIntosh wrote:

> Squeak 64-32 5.7b1.app.zip
>
> Follow the macintosh link from http://www.squeakvm.org/index.html
>
> This VM is built using the current (June 15th, 2010 version of VMMaker.
> This VM is setup to run in 32bit mode with a 32bit image.
> This VM uses the same plugins (excluding the 32/64bit FT2Plugin) as the 4.2.5b1 VM.
>
> I would suggest people take it for a spin, observe menu handling, drawing, sockets, file i/o, drag and drop, cmd line interface & sound.
> I'd like to move away from the 4.x.x VM to 5.x.x as we move towards getting things running on the iPad.
> So your help is needed to shake out the bugs.

I'm going to use it for now.

Does it support the browser plugin too? The next Etoys is going to be released in September, feature freeze in July. If this made the plugin work in 64 bit Safari, that would be a good reason to update. Although maybe the plugin is unrelated?

> I've set the get Info to say to launch in 32bit Mode. This lets us use the existing plugins.
>
> If you really want to flip to 64bit execution mode you can uncheck the box.  You will get a dialog at startup, and only the FT2Plugin is certified to work in 64bit mode. Things will run slower but maybe you'll think it's faster...
>
> Features:
> On resize we mangle the window bits (oh well). No doubt some more reading is required.
> We don't support 8bit video mode, oh likely only 32bit works.

Yes only 32 bit works.

The draggable image icon in the title bar should be removed, IMHO.

- Bert -