[squeak-dev] Re: [vwnc] A couple of memory management related questions

Dennis Smith dennis at CherniakSoftware.com
Tue Jun 15 21:22:40 UTC 2010

I have 12,000 classes (including everything), I expect that to grow, but
probably not more than 30,000 total.

On 6/15/2010 5:17 PM, Eliot Miranda wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>     I've started working on a new GC for Cog and have a few questions.
>
> 1. does anyone have a copy of Joel Bartlett's J. F. Bartlett. A
> generational, compacting collector for C++. In E. Jul and N.-C. Juul,
> editors, OOPSLA/ECOOP ‘90 Workshop on Garbage Collection in
> Object-Oriented Systems, Oct. 1990. ?
>
> 2. what's the largest number of classes you've got in your most
> complex image and/or what's the largest number of classes you're ever
> created in an image?  a.k.a.  is 64k classes enough (16 bits), or is
> 1m classes enough (24 bits)?
>
> 3. do you have any personal recommendations, or example code, of
> systems that combine generation scavenging and/or compaction with
> object pinning?
>
> TIA,
> Eliot

Dennis Smith                 		         +1 416.798.7948
Cherniak Software Development Corporation   Fax: +1 416.798.0948
509-2001 Sheppard Avenue East        dennis at CherniakSoftware.com
Toronto, ON M2J 4Z8              sip:dennis at CherniakSoftware.com
Canada			         http://www.CherniakSoftware.com
Entrance off Yorkland Blvd south of Sheppard Ave east of the DVP