[squeak-dev] Interesting survey about smalltalk

Casimiro de Almeida Barreto casimiro.barreto at gmail.com
Sun Jun 20 16:31:00 UTC 2010

Em 20-06-2010 10:00, Michael Haupt escreveu:
> Hi Nicolas,
>
> On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 11:17 AM, Nicolas Cellier
> <nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> About 8) :  True, every single operation results in memory allocation
>> / garbage collection, a burden for number crunching.
>>
> really?
>
> There is this nice book by Didier Besset called "Object-Oriented
> Implementation of Numerical Methods. An Introduction with Java and
> Smalltalk.: An Introduction with Java and Smalltalk". It can't be
> *that* bad. :-)
>

>> My own answer was: use C/FORTRAN for optimized number crunching
>> functions. Use Smalltalk for any higher level/GUI function (via
>> DLLCC/FFI). We may have more than 1 hammer in your toolset!
>>
> With GPU connectivity things emerging, number crunching might even be
> an interesting area for Smalltalk.

Agreed. I'm just applying for PhD at EPUSP/LSI (Prof. Dr. Zuffo) to work
in this area (with possible support from NVIDIA). I'm also battling to
get corporate support to start a(nother?) squeak group in São Paulo.
Oh... before... I don't mean any kind of fork (LOL)...

If you remember, earlier this year I told about creating something like
pyCUDA as squeakCUDA but subject is far more interesting than creating
an adaptation layer for CUDA or OpenCL...

> Best,
>
> Michael

Best regards,

Casimiro Barreto