[squeak-dev] Teleplace Cog VMs are now available

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Tue Jun 22 10:28:14 UTC 2010

Hi Andreas,

Andreas Raab wrote:
> On 6/21/2010 11:29 AM, Juan Vuletich wrote:
>> When starting, it does an invalid memory access, and terminates without
>> any error message or log. I guess I'd need to setup a VM building and
>> debugging environment, etc, and learn quite a bit to fix this myself. I
>> guess it would take you minutes to spot this, compared with the days I'd
>> need to spend... I'd very much appreciate your help.
>
> I've seen that before :-) Cog requires LargeNegativeInteger to be
> compact at 5 (previously PseudoContext). After installing and running
> the attached code in addition to the other changes you're good to go.
>
> Enjoy!
>   - Andreas

Yes. I yesterday downloaded XCode and built the Mac VM, only to find
that it throws a clear error (LargeNegativeInteger is not compact at 5,
can't continue) to the console. I told this to Eliot, but forgot to say
it in the lists. I apologize. Anyway, for some reason, the win vm you
posted, instead of giving the error and exiting cleanly, it does an
invalid access and is terminated. Maybe you want to check that.

BTW, most console messages (i.e. stdout) will be missed in these days of
graphical shells. An OS dialog would be better.

Thank Eliot, you and Teleplace for this great gift! This is a major
milestone in the history of Squeak.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich