[squeak-dev] Physical Etoys released!

Michael Haupt mhaupt at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 07:53:50 UTC 2010

Ricardo,

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 1:37 AM, Ricardo Moran <richi.moran at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm assuming you mean to use our Etoys interface for NXTalk.

exactly.

> I don't really know the details of NXTalk's implementation but I think it wouldn't be so
> difficult. I mean, the Etoys part is already done and it's quite simple. We
> just need to understand how to connect them together.

NXTalk applications are just Smalltalk classes and methods, nothing
else; they are compiled to the NXTalk bytecode format by a dedicated
image builder.

Connecting Physical Etoys with NXTalk would, as far as I can see,
require some code generation to turn the Etoys descriptions of
sensor/actor connections to the brick into methods that set up the
hardware at application startup. Scripts may be a bit more difficult,
depending on the interfaces - but it should be possible.

I'll put it on the list of Things I Need To Look At. Hopefully, there
will be some community forming around NXTalk soon, that would really
help.

Best,

Michael