[squeak-dev] Re: SmalltalkImage current vs. Smalltalk

keith keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Mar 3 03:15:51 UTC 2010

On 3 Mar 2010, at 02:45, Andreas Raab wrote:

> On 3/2/2010 9:04 AM, Eliot Miranda wrote:
>> The worst thing going on with things like SmalltalkImage current,
>> SystemNavigation default and traits is the introduction of
>> abstraction
>> for its own sake.  Abstraction is properly used to manage complexity.
>>  But for example, as others have pointed out, there is no other image
>> than the current image and so SmalltalkImage current is merely
>> verbiage.
>>  And yet SourceFiles is an obvious area which could use a lot more
>> features (being able to load package sources without appending them
>> the sources file, or having two changes files, one for loaded
>> packages,
>> one for user modifications, etc).
>
> Thanks Eliot. That's an *excellent* description of the problem.
>
> Cheers,
>  - Andreas

And option 3 dnu handler on smalltalk.

I think that my vote would be for option 1, and cuis compatibility.
Regrouping, before breaking things out again,
but lets start using the new accessors as well.

I implemented some in cuis

#host #organization #query #sourceCode #vm #commandLine #startupManager

However isn't the dnu solution is the only one that will be able to
cope in the longer term if you do break things out again.
So one could argue that you may as well use it now.

Keith