My UI principles was: (Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Simple Frame Adornments - default value...)

Alexander Lazarević laza at blobworks.com
Thu Mar 4 09:18:09 UTC 2010

Just for what it's worth:

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 03:50, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:
> Friendly means that user should not be puzzled by UI , like what does
> that red rectangle means.

As I see it you can't in general prevent users from being puzzled by
parts of the UI, because this largely depends on user experience.
I'd say I would attribute to an friendly UI if a user can easily learn
about it. Like when a new user sees that mark in the top right corner
of a text view and wonders what it is about. If he would get a balloon
help like "This indicates that the text/content has changed" or the
like by just moving the mouse over it, would be a simple way to get a
clue about it.

> Drawing a semitransparent 'changed... [v][x]' in the text morph corner
> is what i calling friendly.

For my taste this is too much of "in my face". And the idea of having
meta text inside some text content, even if it ain't likely that they
overlap, does not really appeal to me.

Alex