[squeak-dev] Object>>#is:? (was: Re: PackageDependencyTest)

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 18:50:05 UTC 2010

Andreas wrote:

>        (foo isKindOf: FooBarMorph) ifTrue:[...]
>
> is completely pointless. If you're writing this already, you might as well
> avoid that dependency and write:
>
>        (foo is: #FooBarMorph) ifTrue:[...]
>
> etc. I'd really like to see #is: integrated so that it can used
> interchangeably with #isKindOf: but using the name instead of the type.

That would be a great method for helping to avoid hard dependencies.
My only suggestion would be for us to consider the namespace.  It
might be a shame to consume beautifully terse #is: for something as
mundane as a package-existence / type-check.

Applications might already, or want to, use #is:.  However, any
overrides of #is: will rob them of the functionality provided by
Object>>#is:, so a complication is introduced, a choice is forced.

Ok, I might be wrong in a practical-sense about this, since the
package-existence check would typically be on a PackageInfo object or
something that probably wouldn't otherwise need #is:.

My only point is that, we should remember to duly consider the
namespace when consuming a selector as grand as #is: in case it might
be better-appreciated in the application namespace..

Regards,
  Chris