[squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] #ensure: issues

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 23:35:52 UTC 2010

On 5 March 2010 01:19, Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu> wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Mar 2010, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>

>> or.. change the VM for better support of finalization. :)
>>

> That would be nice, I hope someone will do it. Until then this is the best
> we can have IMHO.

I will submit the changesets to ObjectMemory and corresponding
image-level class.
What i am talking about here is a lightweight changes to support
finalization, proposed earlier.
It will require a simple change in a single place in VM, and require a
new special object (to designate a special kind of instance, which
holds a single weak reference and need special treating, when it
became garbage).

There also a more complex thing - ephemerons, but it requires more
deep changes to GC.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.