[squeak-dev] Re: [Election] Candidate list with 11 candidates is final, 6 days until election starts!

Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez miguel.coba at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 16:30:38 UTC 2010

El vie, 05-03-2010 a las 16:54 +0100, Michael Haupt escribió:
> Hi Miguel,
>
> thank you for the insightful remarks.
>
> 2010/3/5 Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez <miguel.coba at gmail.com>:
> > ... So if Seaside, Magritte, Etoys or whatever is
> > loadable in a core/dev Pharo image, the Pharo guys happily use it.
> > It is just that we don't want to have it in the core image. For us is
> > just a package that you can load in Pharo (when Etoys is a real laodable
> > plackage) and use it if you need it. Isn't nothing different as Seaside
> > for someone that don't give a dime for Seaside. If it can be loaded
> > good, if isn't part of the core image, better yet.
>
> Isn't Etoys (un)loadable in Squeak these days?

Yes, but Squeak is working the opposite path than Pharo.

Pharo builds and strips everything not wanted in core and PUBLISH a core
image. Then the users or interested developers, build different
"distros" using the PharoCore and a handful of Metacello configurations.
Then those distros are published for the final users to use. Also, there
is an implicit "build your own" image in all this community. They are
given the core, the list of Metacello configurations and the knowledge
to build their own custom, nothing more than necessary, image. The dev
images that are being built are for the users that want a image ready to
use, but the idea is that each developer of user of Pharo just build
their custom image (Pharo is giving options). So if someone wants an
image with RFB, Seaside and Etoys, just take a PharoCore, and loads
ConfigurationOfRFB, ConfigurationOfSeaside and ConfigurationOfEtoys
(when available) and is done.
No need to have everything but the sink and then "unload" what you don't
want (and searching and knowing what you don't need is not an easy
thing). Is just the opposite, put just what you need.

Cheers

--
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx