[squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] [Esug-list] Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!

Paolo Bonzini bonzini at gnu.org
Sat Mar 6 15:09:12 UTC 2010

On 03/06/2010 03:54 PM, Gilad Bracha wrote:
>>> You_can_  write an Objective-C binding using CObject (as in, it's
>>> been done).  The painful part is converting NSArray<->  Array and
>>> NSString<->  String.
>>>
>>> However, nice-looking bindings will always have a part written in
>>> C that will be VM-dependent, which is why I put this project
>>> last.  It is much less useful than it looks.
>
> Inteoperating smoothly with the rest of the world is very useful.

I fully agree.  But there's so much more involved in interoperating
smoothly with the rest of the world than Aliens/CObjects, and what's
left is very hard to do in a cross-dialect way.

So, having cross-dialect Aliens/CObjects is a nice step, but
unfortunately it is still far from being a full solution.

Paolo