[squeak-dev] Re: [Election] Candidate list with 11 candidates is final, 6 days until election starts!

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 22:30:18 UTC 2010

Miguel, here's the thing.  You're words are just plain wrong man and
touching some nerves in the process.  You keep saying that with Squeak
you start with a kitchen-sink and delete what you don't want.  Wrong.
Ok, yes, it's still true today, but of course Squeak is just not
"done" yet.  The unloadability is just the beginning of the path that
can and will lead to a "Core" Squeak image, where you start with
"nothing" and then add the packages you want.  Patience, we're getting
there, ok?

True, right now a Squeak image may be a few extra meg than a Pharo
core image, but we are talking about a little-bit of memory and disk
not cpu-cycles by any meaningful stretch.  So I think you make a
pretty strong complaint when, in a production system, it really just
boils down to a few meg of memory and, perhaps, the psychological
benefit of feeling "clean" (although sometimes missing modules are a
problem in production systems!).

My sense is that Squeak cares about it's legacy software, wants to go
smaller in a way that keeps most of those "paleolithic" things
loadable.  The easiest way to do that, we feel, is to massage it while
it's still in the image, make it unloadable, reloadable, THEN unload
it, save the smaller image and deploy that as "core".

I believe the difference with Pharo is that their priority is to be
modern and corporate-friendly.  The way Pharo is being positioned is
very good for Squeak because I believe it relieves Squeak itself from
the pressures to corporate.  Except from you man!  Please, won't you
ease up?   :)

The reality of "suitability for any particular purpose", be it
educational or communiticating with industrial-grade switches to
peform real-time call-routing, Squeak is out there doing these things,
right now, this second, and have been for a long time.
Squeakers/Smalltalkers/XP'ers rely heavily on manual and automated
*testing* to determine the suitability of a system for a particular
purpose, not marketing.  I believe, even if Pharo is more corporate
"friendly," Squeak is just still just as corporate "capable".

True, for someone looking for, (I quote you here), "the way" to go,
then Pharo is the one that suits you, and you've made that clear.  But
I think if you step back and and just watch the Squeak side, let the
unencumbered imaginations over there run wild, you will witness some
potentially great treasure to be harvested for Pharo in the future.
Personally, I would like to see and assist this kind of exchange
occur, wouldn't you?

Cheers Miguel,
  - Chris