[squeak-dev] Squeak Constitution

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Mar 7 02:24:20 UTC 2010

On Sat, Mar 06, 2010 at 07:24:29PM -0500, Matthew Fulmer wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 06, 2010 at 07:01:24PM -0500, Matthew Fulmer wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 06, 2010 at 04:38:22PM -0700, Ken G. Brown wrote:
> > > I would like to know what each candidate thinks about creating
> > > 'Terms of Reference' or 'Terms of Engagement' or
> > > 'Constitution' or 'Clear Governance Articles' or 'Rules and
> > > Regulations' for the Squeak Oversight Board, named something
> > > agreeable, along with a great mission statement.
> >
> > My opinion is that the members elected to the board should do
> > what they say they will do in their election statements. The
> > community votes a set of people to the board, and also each
> > person's agenda. The sum of the board member's stated agendas is
> > what the board should be doing.
> >
> > The board only serves year terms, and can be replaced rather
> > easily, should the community want to. Thus, I believe the above
> > is sufficient to ensure that the board adequately represents the
> > community.
>
> An important corollary I feel is worth stating:
>
> If the board adequately represents the community, its actions
> will generally align with what the community as a whole wants.
>
> If the board is about anything, it is about helping Squeak move
> in the direction the community wants it to. The board nominees
> state what they think is most important for squeak, and if the
> community agrees and trusts them, they get elected.

Absolutely right. And as a voting member of the Squeak community,
I am 100% opposed to the idea of asking our volunteer board members
to spend time and energy on "Terms of Engagement" and any other
such pseudo-legalistic entitlement nonsense. We are fortunate
to have the service of the current board members, and are doubly
fortunate that many of them, as well as other new volunteers,
are willing to stand for election this year.

This has been a hugely positive year for Squeak, and I think
next year will be even better :)

Dave