[squeak-dev] replacing SmalltalkImage current

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Mar 7 13:00:11 UTC 2010

On Sat, Mar 06, 2010 at 07:14:22PM -0800, Colin Putney wrote:

> On 2010-03-06, at 5:15 PM, Nicolas Cellier wrote:
>
> > I join an update of the small utility to find message sent to globals.
> >
> > This utility can be used like this:
> >
> > 1) create a file out of all senders of (SmalltalkImage current xxx).
> > MessageSentToGlobalMessage fileoutMessagesSentTo: #SmalltalkImage
> > selector: #current.
> >
> > 2) replace (SmalltalkIlage current) by Smalltalk in a text editor
> > (FileList is perfect).
> >
> > 3) fileIn from FileList et voila
> >
> > You get unchanged formatting and unchanged Timestamping.
>
> Um, don't we want to change the timestamps? It's a new version of the method after all.

Well, it's a judgement call, but in this case I think it makes sense
not to change the time stamps. The timestamps and intials give some
clues to help the reader understand who wrote something and when, and
it is good to preserve these clues when no functional change has been
made to the method.

The FixUnderscores procedure for changing assignment operators
to ":=" is another example where this makes sense.

Dave