[squeak-dev] Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!

Gary Dunn osp at aloha.com
Sun Mar 7 18:09:34 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-03-06 at 13:04 +0100, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
> Hi smalltalkers. I have been asked to be the admin of GSoC 2010. The
> backup or second admin is Janko Mivšek. As you may know, Squeak has
> participated in GSoC 2007, 2008 but failed (not accepted) in 2009. We
> are not sure if we will succeed this year but we will try to do as
> much as possible.
>
> We think that one of the most important reasons why we failed in 2009
> is that Google was looking for bigger communities that Squeak. This is
> why this year we all go under the ESUG umbrella. We present ESUG as
> the mentor organization and we cover ALL open-source Smalltalk
> dialects, not only Squeak. Pharo, Smalltalk/X, GNU Smalltalk,
> Cuis..they are all invited to participate. Also cross platform
> projects like Seaside, AidaWeb, Magma, etc are welcome.
>
> <forThoseWhoDoesntKnowWhatGSoCIs>
> It is a Google program that support (money) students to work on
> different open-source projects. Google doesn't talk or manage directly
> to the students but trough "Mentoring Organisations". Those
> organizations have to apply to GSoC. They have to give a lot of
> information, included a list of ideas/projects. Each project has a
> description and a mentor. Then the students apply for each project. If
> the organization gets selected by Google they will tell you how many
> "slots" they give. Suppose they give 5 but we have 20 projects....then
> we vote and the most voted projects win. The student has to do the
> project and the mentor has to help and guide him. The mentor receives
> 500 USD and the student 4500USD.
> For more information read: http://code.google.com/soc/
> </forThoseWhoDoesntKnowWhatGSoCIs>
>
> The most important thing is the deadlines we have. We started late so
> we are very near to the first deadline which is 12/03/2010 (less than
> one week). For that deadline we need to submit all the information of
> the mentor organization (answering several questions) and give the
> list of ideas/projects and the mentors of that.
>
> We have created a webpage (Thanks Janko!!) where we will put all the
> information. We will make this page public soon (we still need to
> review a couple of things).
> But for the moment we would REALLY appreciate if tell us your ideas.
> To do this, just answer to this email. Then we will collect the
> information and put in the website. For each idea you need:  a short
> title and a paragraph (for the moment) explaining the idea.
> After, we need that the people that are willing to be mentors start to
> apply as mentors...please, consider yourself being mentor. Sometimes
> it is not that difficult. I mean, don't be shy as sometimes being
> helpful, being aware of the dates, answering emails, etc is more
> important than the Smalltalk knoweldege. We can have a lot of ideas,
> but we need also mentors for that. We even would need a "substitute"
> for each mentor...
>
> Just as an example you can see the ideas of the previous years:
> 2007: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5936
> [...]

Please see the Open Slate Ideas page for the list of projects we will be
submitting.

http://openslate.net/ideas.html

Have been waiting for the application period to open, which it just did.
I don't think any of ours are suitable for Smalltalk beyond Squeak, but:

    1. Will there be a Squeak submission, which OSP could join? From
this it sounds like "no."

    2. Does anyone think any of ours should go forward to ESUG?

--
Gary Dunn, Honolulu
osp at aloha.com
http://openslate.net/