Reloadable Morphic for MVC-only image (was: [squeak-dev] Updated trunk image (Squeak3.11-9622-alpha.zip))

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Mar 7 19:30:09 UTC 2010

On Sun, Mar 07, 2010 at 10:35:06AM +0200, Vaidotas Did??balis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thank you all for such a small image.
>
> I interested in small MVC only image. If MVC is separated from Morphic, may
> there is suggestions on how one may try getting MVC only image?

Sungjin Chun has produced a good MVC only image. I cannot find the original
announcement, but you can find information here:
 http://astares.blogspot.com/2009/09/mvc-squeaks-smalltalk-80-roots.html

Squeak trunk cannot yet be reduced to an MVC-only image, but I am sure
that this will be possible in the future.

There are two things that need to happen in order to produce an
MVC-only image from trunk:

1) MVC itself has of problems that need to be fixed. To illustrate, try
evaluating 'self halt' in MVC (but save your image first).

2) Morphic needs to be made reloadable, similar to reloadable MVC. Much
of the enabling work for this has already been done, so it is certainly
an achievable goal.

Dave