[squeak-dev] MIDI plugin [was: Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!]

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Mar 7 20:46:33 UTC 2010

On Sun, Mar 07, 2010 at 08:46:16PM +0100, St?phane Rollandin wrote:
> hi,
>
> thanks for your help !
>
> actually no special hardware is needed to test the MIDI plugin, packages
> timidity and pmidi are enough
>
> Timidity is a soft synth; it can be started in server mode with command
>
> 	timidity -iA -B2,8 -Os1l -s 44100
>
> now we have a list of available MIDI ports with command
>
> 	pmidi -l
>
> in my system this lists 6 ports. one is enough for testing: in a Squeak
> workspace, evaluate
>
> 	SimpleMIDIPort primPortCount
>
> I get 0, because the primitive failed.

OK, I'll have a look at it. Thanks for the pointers.

I tried running "pmidi -l" on my laptop, and get this:

lewis at linux-6xfc:~/squeak> pmidi -l
 Port     Client name                       Port name
 14:0     Midi Through                      Midi Through Port-0

So that probably means I have a midi device on my sound card. I guess
that should be all I need to test the plugin, right?

Dave