Uploading mczs to the Trunk (Was: Re: [squeak-dev] Working with Trunk and Package loading)

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Sun Mar 7 21:42:51 UTC 2010

On Sun, 7 Mar 2010, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> Folks:
>
> I re testing the tomorrow version of FunSqueak and as each time , discover
> new things and old bugs shows again
>
> The particular point I wish all working in Trunk should note is:
>
> Your .mcz don?t should give any Undeclared
>
> Just now going to 9633
>
> Undeclared removeUnreferencedKeys; inspect.
>
> a Dictionary(#Definitions->nil #Instances->nil #activatorDockingBar->nil
> #arguments->nil #current->a SmalltalkImage #dirFlag->nil
> #objectsToFinalize->nil #updateSelector->nil #updater->nil )
>
> And of course, no packages should bring Undeclared things to .image.
> In 3.10 I put some in Monticello raising a error just for this, so you know
> some is wroooong.
>
> As quality test, please do Undeclared removeUnreferencedKeys; inspect.
> on all you upload to trunk and in all your packages .

IMHO:
It's easier to do that by running all the tests before uploading your new
package version. (If ReleaseTest >> #testUndeclared is failing, then
there are some undeclared variables/classes hanging around.) This should
be done by everyone who uploads to the Trunk or the Inbox.
If your package may affect package loading, you should also load your mcz
to a clean image an run the tests after that to be sure that everything
works as it should.
If your changes may affect system startup/shutdown, you should also save
the clean image with the package loaded, then restart it and run the tests
again.

On my pc running the tests takes a bit more than 2 minutes and it's
still less than 4 minutes if I include the long testcases too.

In the last few weeks a few new failures/errors occured, which could
possibly be avoided by running the tests. These are:
FontTest>>#testParagraphFallback
PackageDependencyTest>>#testCompiler
PackageDependencyTest>>#testExceptions
PackageDependencyTest>>#testMorphic
PackageDependencyTest>>#testTools
SqNumberParserTest>>#testFloatGradualUnderflow
SqNumberParserTest>>#testFloatPrintString
TileMorphTest>>#testArrowAction

Levente