[squeak-dev] Re: [smalltalk-research] Re: [Esug-list] Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!

Paolo Bonzini bonzini at gnu.org
Mon Mar 8 07:52:58 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 00:24, Gilad Bracha <gbracha at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm all for it, and hope that John or Eliot can mentor. Datapoints I'll add:
> There is some support for parsing C headers in the Newspeak system.
> Aliens have been ported to Strongtalk as well as Squeak.
> Finally - what licensing would apply if GNU Smalltalk were used?  GPL is a
> big problem. Even LGPL elicits an immune response in a lot of commercial
> contexts.  Is there a GSoC policy on this?

Last year's GST project was released under MIT license.  The GST
distribution includes in fact several MIT packages without relicensing
it.

It is also perfectly possible to develop a single GSoC under a variety
of licenses (GPL/LGPL for code that will go in GNU Smalltalk, MIT for
something else).  If there is need, I'll take care with the student of
the FSF copyright assignment fo GST-specific code.

In other words, licensing is the least of the problems.

BTW, I took a look at Aliens and it would be possible to port CObject
to Squeak basing it on Aliens, since it provides a higher-level
framework.  Doing vice-versa would also be possible.  A description of
CObject can be found starting at

http://www.gnu.org/software/smalltalk/manual/html_node/C-and-Smalltalk.html#C-and-Smalltalk

Gilad, in your experience what % of the bindings you wrote were
Smalltalk and what % was C code?  Did you have any performance
problems that you could fix using more C code?

Paolo