[squeak-dev] Re: Please, what is the status of Smalltalk and SmalltalkImage?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Mar 10 00:55:40 UTC 2010

On 3/9/2010 4:20 PM, Matthew Fulmer wrote:
> Hi. I haven't been paying too much attention to the above
> refactoring (I'll read the mails now), but what is up with that
> change? I'm trying to port a very large application (Cobalt) to
> the trunk. I replaced all occurrences of Smalltalk with
> SmalltalkImage current in all places where vm parameters were
> needed, last week, and now Smalltalk at: stopped working.

Sorry for that. I noticed it myself yesterday but was too tired to fix
it. I've just posted an update that adds #at:ifAbsentPut: as part of the
at:[put:|ifAbsent:|ifPresent:] family of methods on SmalltalkImage.

Also, make sure you update from the TweakCore repository; I've posted a
fix for CParser that has much larger potential of causing some headaches
because it effectively turns off CParser completely (change from using
#method:context:encoder to #method:context:).

> What do I need to do for Cobalt? I don't want to waste much time
> on this; I have more important things to worry about.

There is not much you need to do. The one thing to check is whether any
extension methods are still on SystemDictionary; those need to be
transferred to SmalltalkImage. If you care about portability you might
need to access them via SmalltalkImage current xxx if you don't just
keep using Smalltalk xxx.

I don't recall if there were any extensions in Croquet or Cobalt but the
three extensions from Tweak are harmless since they're not used (and
I'll remove them when I get around to it).

Cheers,
   - Andreas