Smalltalk app demo for GSoC [WAS] Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [Seaside] Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 14:45:54 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 3:08 PM, stan shepherd
<stan.shepherd414 at gmail.com>wrote:

> I know the deadline approaches, however- how does the community feel
> about a project to implement a real demonstration system (along the
> lines of defunct Sushi store)?

This sounds REALLY greate. PLEASE take a look to
http://gsoc2010.esug.org/application.html
the answer to point 2).  It would be cool if I can add "And even more, we
have a project which aim is to build an application demo to show the rest of
the world what kind of things can be done in Smalltalk nowadays"  or
something like that...

> Presumably in Seaside, but whichever
> framework the community/mentor/student decided on. With a nice
> interface using (again presumptively) jQueryUI to give a pleasant
> end-user experience.

Yes!!!

> Similarly implementing a persistence solution.

Would be cool to show different persistence soliutions. At least a OO
database (magma for example), a RDBMS, and some serialization or similar.

> The idea is to present potential newcomers to Smalltalk with a viable
> stack that could be picked up as is, to give a starting point for
> developing web applications. Potentially they could simply make a
> hosted copy, on the same server.
>
> The idea would be that on the various examples page, you could access
> an e-commerce site running a Smalltalk technology stack. Ideally
> really selling something Smalltalk related, (proceeds to eg ESUG),
> maybe also an Amazon affiliate page . If you liked it, you could copy
> the whole project, change eg your Paypal details, change your
> products, and be in business. (Obviously there are real world
> considerations - this is the concept). And coders looking for examples
> would see code that was fully completed, not onClick: (... some alert
> saying you clicked but no real example of how to handle it, eg how to
> transfer the order line details to the payments server).
>
> I think it would do wonders for the take-up of Smalltalk.
>
> If people like the idea in general, I'm happy to write up the brief. I
> don't think i'm the right person for the mentor, but you know who you
> are ;)

Yes, please, at least for me it sounds cool. And goes in the direction of
the "application text".

The only thing I am concerned a bit is the scope of the project. It seems
quite big. Maybe you should scope it and put "must have" but also "wish
list" or bonus items.

We need mentors!!!!!  any volunteer ?

> For the student, they would get experience in implementing the
> application itself , as well as assembling the stack. They could be
> the next Auctomatic founders.
>
> Do people think it's useful for me to develop a proposal?

yes!

cheers

mariano