[squeak-dev] [Election] ...is soon upon us! Last day info

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Wed Mar 10 16:34:25 UTC 2010

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010, keith wrote:

> On 10 Mar 2010, at 13:39, Nicolas Cellier wrote:
>
>> Keith,
>> I won't try to distinguish what I consider true and false assertions
>> here, and will stay positive.
>> It's good that you have a vision, and for sure a vision larger than
>> squeak-trunk patch process.
>> But... You have to invent a process simple enough to attract
>> participating people.
>> Otherwise, you fail, no matter how noble your causes are.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Nicolas
>
> I think contributing patches to mantis was simple enough

That's true, but most of them were never integrated, because:
- the integrator has to have deep knowledge about the issue, the patch and
the system (this was much harder than now, because now the creator of the
patch can integrate it most of the time. IMHO this is the weakest point in
Pharo's contribution process, besides the lack of contributors.)
- patches to a "fixed point" can conflict with each other making
integration even harder

Also fine grained "cherry-picking" is not a good idea, because you just
can't predict how the patches will interact with each other.

Levente