[squeak-dev] Re: [Esug-list] Smalltalk app demo for GSoC

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 23:17:28 UTC 2010

In the other thread, Stan Shepherd, proposed the following proposal:

what do you think  ??? for me is ok.

Don't worry for the technology. It can be decided after, by the mentors and
student.

Now...we need a mentor...volunteer???

........Stan mail:

Hi, I had a first pass at a proposal. Feel free to improve upon it. The
major question is whether we should bite the bullet and nominate what
technologies we would use to build the reference implementation. It would
also make it easier to nominate the mentors, if they are to be experts in
the particular technologies. I think we had some volunteers previously for
Seaside/Grease related projects?

Smalltalk is enjoying a resurgence in its development, with a great deal of
development going into building out its abilities to underpin a web
framework.
Auctomatic was a recent startup built in Smalltalk, that received seed
funding from Y-Combinator and was acquired by Live Current Media. People who
build in Smalltalk know that it lends itself to fast development, and that
web aplications can be upgraded on the fly, without the need to take down
the server.

The goal of this project is to spread the use of Smalltalk to a wider
audience. The scope is to produce a reference implementation of a Smalltalk
stack, in the form of a working e-commerce site. The participants will
select and integrate the preferred technologies, and build on existing
demonstration systems. The result will make it much easier for potential new
Smalltalkers to evaluate the technology, by seeing a fully working example,
and then to get started on their own application by downloading that same
example as a working template.

The Smalltalk community, and in particular the open source Smalltalk
community, will benefit as follows:
improved quality and documentation of the technology stack at its interfaces
Availability of a one stop solution as the basis for new projects
better ability to attract new participants and projects to Smalltalk.

The student participant will gain experience of implementation of a real
world Smalltalk project, and of the practicalities of e-commerce
development. The student would be well positioned to participate in a
startup using the technology stack.