[squeak-dev] I wish retake old good practice

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Thu Mar 11 01:57:19 UTC 2010

Ian> I agree with you, Bert. It's important to keep some buzz and excitement
Ian> but more importantly involvement of the community in any such
Ian> discussion. Having too much low traffic or too specific mailing lists
Ian> will only fragment the community's attention. Sometimes going smaller is
Ian> making things bigger.

In particular, I think what was missing was a call to action on the part of
*developers* on squeak-dev, about how to use Keith's tools.  The reasons for
this boggled me when I heard them -- apparently, Keith was forbidden to post
on the developer list because of his work arrangement.  I'm still a bit
flabberghasted at that... the guy creating the tools couldn't talk about tools
in the one place that the developers who wanted to use the tools would
consistently be.  Certainly not a recipe for communication or leadership.

There's certainly a need for a smaller group to talk about the final steps, so
a specific, short-term release mailing list makes sense.