[squeak-dev] Re: [smalltalk-research] Re: [Esug-list] Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!

Stéphane Ducasse stephane.ducasse at inria.fr
Wed Mar 10 16:06:33 UTC 2010

Eliot

> What the starting point is will depend on to what extent Cog has been open sourced  (Teleplace may choose to open source single-threaded Cog initially, keeping back the threaded FFI for a while, it may not open source Cog at all; we'll see :) ).

May be I the only one to notice the :)  which I have problem to understand since for me it announces that COG may not be open-source.
What would help teleplace to believe that open-sourcing it would be a win-win situation?
	A bigger community of contributors ?
	Making sure that the truck factor does not touch them in case elliot is called under other horizons?

Now there is a bootstrap problem. How can a community show that an open-source model is better than a closed one, if the
software is closed?

STef