[squeak-dev] [Election] ...is soon upon us! Last day info

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Thu Mar 11 11:49:22 UTC 2010

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> On 3/10/10 10:03 PM, "Levente Uzonyi" <leves at elte.hu> wrote:
>
>> I don't think anyone would like to make new forks in the near future
>> (except for Jecel). It's easier to cooperate than to do everything
>> on your own.
>
> I agree.
> Hope bring all leanings of SqueakLight and MinimalMorphic to SqueakCore.
> Next Monday I publish the first ReleaseReport fot it.
> And my hope is , when all help and do not fight, have it as 4.2 in 9 months
> from now.
>
>> I think we are doing it pretty well.
>
> Disagree.
> 1- Each core developer have his own agenda.

Is this a problem? Are there any changes that you would like to revert?

> 2- Not coordination and no goals, Keith is right on this two points.

Goals are pointless if nobody will do anything to reach them.

> 3- Many working on 3.10 do not work in trunk.

Examples?

> 4- Nobody except me care about how we have again the Great Squeak, the Alan
> and Dan spirit.
> Or at less the equivalent to 3.8 Full image.
> 5- Saying we have a great thing shows you don't use for more as business as
> usual.

I don't know what you're missing. I'm not saying that the Trunk image is
perfect, but it's much better than 3.9 or 3.10.

Let me copy the goals of the process again from
http://squeakboard.wordpress.com/2009/07/02/a-new-community-development-model/

"The goals

The goal of this process is to get rid of as many hurdles as possible in
the contribution process. We are trying to enable the community at large
to improve Squeak, the core of the system and its supporting libraries."

According to these goals we are doing it pretty well.

Levente