[squeak-dev] [ANN] Trax downloads

Stephen Pair stephen at pairhome.net
Thu Mar 11 13:06:25 UTC 2010

I have made the source code (as well as a pre-loaded image) for Trax
available here:

http://squeak.pairhome.net/trax

Trax is a general object versioning system for Squeak.  As of right now,
I've only tried to run it in Squeak 3.9.  It also depends on the pinesoft
widgets.

If anyone is interested in porting this forward to any other version of
squeak, let me know.

Regarding the extension of Trax to store Monticello packages, I had
considered storing individual methods in the repository instead of MC
packages, but always felt that computing the SHA-1 on potentially a large
number of methods when committing a package would be prohibitively expensive
(but would have clear space advantages because new versions of packages
might only change a few methods).  Due to the interest in doing that by
someone conversing with me off-list, I reconsidered.  Then it occurred to me
that you could use the SHA-1 as the source pointer for methods and compute
it at the time a method is saved.  It also means that you could discard the
sources and changes files and simply use a Trax repository for storing
method source code.  Furthermore, it opens up the possibility of committing
objects to a repository that capture and create a content based address (a
SHA-1) to the entire bundle of source code in an image.  If anyone is
interested in working on such an experiment, let me know.

- Stephen