[squeak-dev] Re: Selectors with underscores

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Mar 11 16:34:09 UTC 2010

On 3/11/2010 7:28 AM, Torsten Bergmann wrote:
> Depends on how you see it. VisualWorks and Smalltalk/MT allow
> underscores in selectors as well. Havent tested VAST, Dolphin, GNU, ...
>
> If we dont support it in Squeak we can not load code from
> Smalltalks who support it.
>
> What about the following:
>
> We can make it a preference (as it is the case with underscore assignment) and set it to false by default.
>
> So by default the image is clean and people who need it (Glorp for
> instance) dont have to patch the image/class Scanner ...

My vote will depend entirely on the backwards compatibility aspect.
What's the current status there? Do you have to switch entire images
between underscore-in-assignment and undersscore-in-selector or can you
scope this more specifically? Can code with underscore assignment still
be loaded?

Cheers,
   - Andreas