[squeak-dev] Selectors with underscores

keith keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 11 18:17:25 UTC 2010

> Please no!
> That fundamentally changes the readability of Squeak code

no it doesn't

It fundamentally gives you many ways to make code more readable. When
you have a perform: ('scan_', aChoice) asSymbol this gives you methods
#scan_Method #scan_Image #scan_Comment
> and makes all future code written that way incompatible with other
> Smalltalks.

I don't think so, when I ported SSpec from VW the problem was the
other way around, I had to use selectors like zMethod where z should
have been an underscore.

Mapping to db fields is a pain
> And besides, some of us grey beards *like* our assignment arrows! ;-)

You can keep them, just make sure they have whitespace either side of
them.
> If you really want that then create your own language variant or
> maintain your own fork of Squeak. Its not that hard after all, I'm
> doing both at present myself!

You dont have to use them if you dont want to.

Keith